Tuesday 17 May 2011

Fondant Cake - Spiced Apple Cake with Maple Buttercream Filling and Toasted Walnuts

I always enjoy making fondant cakes; it challenges my artistic side, assuming I have that gift... This fondant cake though is extra special as it's my birthday cake! I was quick to decide what flavour profile I wanted for my cake, but it took me quite some time to design my cake. I wanted a cake that reflects my personality. So after many sketches, I ended up with this beauty.


My birthday cake is a sassy topsy turvy cake that has an elegant black cornelli lace made of royal icing gliding up and down the lusciously red bottom and top tier. The center tier is then whirled with bold yet classic stripes of two shades of purple, black and white. The finishing touch to my cake is a pair of very simple black peep-toe sandals made out of gum paste. Isn't it just so me?


Oh, a little detail on my shoes, something I'm not concealing... My age!


As for the cake itself, I made an apple cake that was spiced up with cinnamon and ginger. The apple cake was then filled with maple buttercream and toasted walnuts. I was a little worried that the cake would come out too sweet, but I'm glad I went on with my instinct to just go ahead and make the cake because the sweetness of the cake turned out just right. The flavour of the apple, maple and walnuts merrily complimented each other.


My cake was the 'icing on the cake' for my already fantabulous escargot-filled birthday celebration!

Components used for this dessert treat:
Bisou bisou, 
Charlotte

11 comments:

  1. That's what I call a fancy celebration! You're really good at decorating cakes! Love the shoes!
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, Charlotte!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Firstly that cake looks amaaazing, and happy birthday!! I was just wondering, did you use marshmallow fondant and how did it taste with the apple cake? I'm making a cake for a friend's birthday, I'm going to decorate it like crazy with fondant but she has requested apple so I'm not sure how it would taste together!
    Thanks so much xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Rachel!:) yes, i used marshmallow fondant, the marshmallow just gave a very subtle taste so it shouldn't affect the flavour of the actual cake :) good luck on your cake! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome, thanks so much! Oh, you wouldn't happen to have the recipe for your spiced apple cake would you?? xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here goes the recipe! hope it turns out yum! :)

    Spiced Apple Cake

    Ingredients:
    1/4 c vegetable oil
    1 c sugar
    1 pc egg
    2 apples (peeled then grated)
    1 t baking soda
    1/4 t baking powder
    1 t cinnamon powder
    1/4 t ginger powder
    1/4 t salt
    1 c all purpose flour

    Procedure:
    - Combine the dry ingredients (baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, salt and flour) in a mixing bowl and set aside.

    - In a separate bowl, mix oil and sugar until sugar has dissolved.

    - Mix in egg until well combined.

    - Mix in grated apples.

    - Mix in the dry ingredients.

    - Tranfer mixture to a well greased 6 inch round and 2 inch high cake pan.

    - Bake on a 180C preheated oven for 35-40 mins or until the toothpick comes out clean when you insert it in the center of the cake.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic!! Thank you soo much! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks - your blog is great :) I made this ( a mini version and it came out well... except I tried to make the cake the second time with butter but still put the soda in EXPLOSION cake, but tasted amazing, so I used two layers of your recipe and one layer of mine (the bit I salvaged), buttercreamed it with vanilla as I did not have maple, and home made MM fondant over the top. AWESOME! love it. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. thank you :) i'm glad you had a successful cake! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I found it - they were in the filling.

    ReplyDelete

♥ Love to hear what you think of my post!:) Everyone's welcome to comment :) Bisou bisou ♥

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails